Are you making stovetop moka for a couple of people at a time?
Maybe you just like drinking big heaping coffee cups full of stovetop espresso rather than smaller espresso portions.
No matter what’s going on in your kitchen every morning brewing in a large moka pot is a lot easier than brewing multiple batches from smaller pots.
I also know from personal experience that most stores only stock the 3-6 cup moka pots even though most top brands make stovetop espresso makers in the 12-cup range.
Bialetti even makes an 18-cup stovetop espresso maker which makes approximately 27 ounces of moka at once!
Most people looking for larger moka pots however tend to be in the market for the 9oz, 12oz, and 14oz versions.
BonJour makes an attractively priced 14 ounce moka pot that gets the job done.
There is also a more expensive and arguably better made 10-oz moka pot from Cuisinox available but most large stovetop espresso makers come in 12 ounce sizes.
In today’s article, we are going to review a few of the largest stovetop espresso makers including some of those mentioned above and a few popular models in the 12-cup range.
As you may know, there’s a lot of love for espresso these days and that means there’s a market for stovetop espresso makers because they make an espresso like beverage without costing nearly as much as big fancy machines.
Now, let’s get onto the list and the reviews.
The Largest Stovetop Espresso Makers That You Might Want to Buy
As you would expect, there are some large models available from several lines of brands each meant for different kinds of people on different budgets.
Here is our list of your main options along with a moderately detailed look at each model.
First of all comes the Original Bialetti Moka Express. This model is made in Italy and is one of the most glamorous models available out there. So, if you’re considering going for a model based on looks, this model is certainly worth a thought. But that’s not all, the main features of this model are as follows:
- This model is made of high quality polished aluminum in the classic Bialetti Octagon shape
- This model has a capacity of 12-cups. This is actually a pretty large capacity thus earning it a place in this list.
- This model is also famous because of its special patented safety valve. So, if you’re one of those people who want the safest models out there, this model is the one to go for!
- Finally, you can choose the color you want for your model, so that you can easily make it blend in or stand out in your kitchen.
Vev Vigano is a line of products that simply can’t be avoided if you talk about stovetop espresso makers. This is because of the fact that they simply have a lot of models that are really unique and really functional. So, the main features of the Carioca Nero are as follows:
- This model has a polished high quality 18/10 stainless steel body, giving it a high level of durability. In fact, the same extends to the basket, which is also made of stainless steel- you can easily understand the level of durability of this model from this.
- The brass safety pressure release valve is another feature that this model offers.
- This model also offers you with a 12 cup capacity, which is fairly large.
Another model from Vev Vigano that you must take a look at if you’re discussing the largest stovetop espresso makers is the 8160 Vespress Gold. This model also has quite a few lucrative features.
- The Vev Vigano 8160 Vespress Gold also has a pretty distinct look that you could fall in love with.
- This model, like the previous one, is also made of 18/10 stainless steel and has the same kind of filter and brass pressure release.
- However, this model actually has been intended for European espresso cups and, as such, it is enough for 12 to 14 (European) cups fresh espresso servings.
One last model from Vev Vigano, I promise, but we just can’t bring ourselves to skip it. This model is, according to me, one of the best looking espresso makers available out there. The main features it offers are:
- This model is a really versatile model that you can safely use with just about any cooktop such as gas, induction, electric and even infrared.
- This model also has a capacity of brewing 12 demitasse-size espresso cups. This is quite a bit of coffee, so it can be easily added into the list.
And let’s conclude the list with the Bodum Chambord Espresso Maker. Bodum, if you don’t know, is one of the most famous companies when it comes to coffee equipment. It’s one of the oldest and most reputed companies and, as such, is one of the most loved in the market as well. The main features offered are:
- This model has a body made of stainless steel, ensuring its durability.
- This model can be used on all stovetop burners.
- This model is easy to wash, as well, because all the parts are dishwasher safe. With this, you’re free from the headaches that come from holding back because of a lengthy hand-washing requirement!
Now, as I said earlier, not all models are for everyone. There are quite a few things that you must keep in mind when judging a model for yourself. Your needs are always the most important part of a purchase.
So, while we’ve mentioned the features we liked up above, we’re still going to list out what we looked for, so that you can use these points, yourself, to ensure that you get the best option for you. Without further ado:
- First of all, the fact that they have a large capacity has been kept in mind. After all, that’s one of the ideas around which the whole article is based on, so we can’t stray from that.
- One important thing that you must keep in mind is the durability of a product. You might have a lot of options, but a good, durable product actually makes itself worth it. In case of other products, while it looks less expensive, you’re actually paying more with replacement costs.
- Naturally, the economic side of the story has been considered. This might sound really common or even cliche, but there’s simply nothing to do about it. Affordability isn’t the same for everyone, so we have to consider it when we make a generalized list.
- Next, insulation has to be considered. With such a large capacity, the last thing you want is for a lot of your coffee to get cold.
Large Stovetop Espresso Maker FAQ
Now, of course, there might be quite a few questions on your mind. And it’s time that we got around to answering them. Right now, I’m going to answer the most common ones asked. Should you not find your answer here, feel free to get in touch with me and I’m sure we can find an answer together!
- What coffee should I use in a moka pot?Coffee made in a moka pot is very similar to espresso. It is super strong and well concentrated. The only thing it lacks is crema and some people may find it to have a pinch more sediment in the cup. For these reasons we believe buying any coffee best used for making espresso will work just as well in a stovetop espresso maker.
- Why would I want to go for a large model?This is a really common question and the answer is really simple. Maybe you’re a business that likes espresso, maybe you host coffee parties, and maybe you just want to brew once to get all you need. Whatever the case, some people need to make a lot of coffee at one time, and this is how they do it. Moral of the story: Buy the size of model based on the volume you need.
- What are some of the features I might look for?
Do you want dishwasher safe? Are you worried about durability or the how long the coffee will stay hot? A handle that doesn’t get hot enough to burn your hand would be nice. As I said earlier, this depends entirely on what your needs are. That’s the only way to ensure that you get a perfect large espresso maker model that would serve all your needs perfectly.
- How important is the factor of affordability in this specific case?
As for this specific case, it’s not really too important because these models aren’t usually too expensive. That being said, it doesn’t mean that you should disregard it. Money is an important aspect for everyone and simply must be kept in mind at all times. So make sure that you keep it in mind and buy the model that suits your product and financial needs!
- I have other questions. What do I do?
We understand that you might have some other questions or things that have confused you. Well, that’s perfectly alright and we apologize that we didn’t address them. You can reach out to us and we assure you that we’ll try to help you in any way that we can. Please know that Gamble Bay Coffee is always here to help you make the best purchases!
So, at the end of the day, all these models (and even more) are available for you to buy. But you must keep in mind that it’s not just going to the market and buying a model. You must keep in mind that you have to do your research first. You have to judge every model based on your needs and find the one that’s the best for you to make the best purchase!
Gamble Bay Coffee understands that you want don’t want to waste money on an unsuitable product and we stand by your side all the time, so don’t hesitate to reach out to us with anything to ask or discuss! We will await you and look forward for your next visit- thank you!
The 8 Best [Large] Stovetop Espresso Makers
For those of you who absolutely love a lot of espresso and are in search of an easy way to make it at home, extra large stovetop espresso makers like those featured on this page are a good solution for you.
You can also use these in an office environment because they make between 10 and 14 cups of espresso depending on which moka pot you use.
Stovetop espresso makers are easy to use. Instead of plugging them in, all you have to do is place them directly on your stove’s burner. Just make sure to add water and ground coffee beans first!
Here are the Biggest Moka Pots We Recommend
Bialetti Moka Express Large 12-Cup Stovetop Espresso MakerThis is easily the best bang for your buck!
When comparing price to quality the Bialeti Moka Express is unmatched. This moka pot is easily the best selling moka pot in this size and for good reason. It will last you forever if you take care of it and it is priced very reasonably.
This is the biggest size Bialetti makes so if you want a great 12-cup espresso maker this should be at the top of your shopping list.
We believe so much in this moka pot being the best that we have dedicated a whole page on this site to it. See our full Bialetti Moka Express review if you aren’t convinced.
Vev Vigano 8010 Kontessa Oro 12-cupThe Vev Vigano moka pot is made to the same quality standards as the Bialetti featured above. It will last you for years with no problems.
It is however more expensive and that is due primarily because of styling and because of it’s stainless steel construction.
If you want something that looks just a little bit different then the classic stovetop espresso maker then this model will be perfect.
Alessi 9090 M Stovetop Richard Sapper Espresso Maker 10 CupsAlessi makes a very well made moka pot constructed from stainless steel.
If you want designer looks and a stovetop espresso maker that will work on induction stovetops then the 9090/M would make a great choice.
Not quite as big as the other models 10-cups of moka is still a lot. Check it out for pricing.
VonShef Extra Large 12 Cup Chrome Aluminium Moka PotThis VonChef moka pot is the budget option among our featured products.
This is an aluminum espresso maker similar to Bialetti in form and materials but it’s build quality is just a little lower.
Because of that you can buy this extra large moka pot for a lot less than you think.
Here are a few Alternative 12-Cup Moka Pots to Review
Vev Vigano Carioca Nero 12-Cup Espresso MakerVev Vigano 8160 Vespress Gold 12 to 14-cup Coffee Pot – Made in ItalyBialetti Kitty Stainless Steel 10 Cup Espresso MakerCuisinox Roma 10 Cup Moka Espresso Stovetop Coffeemaker in Stainless Steel
- Our large stovetop espresso makers range widely in price and make from 10 to 12 cups of espresso (2oz per cup).
- These come with handles so that you can carry and pour your espresso without difficulty.
- The espresso maker’s lid comes with a knob to make opening and pouring simple; however, the lid is not completely removable because it’s still attached to the body.
- To clean them, we suggest hand washing, as a dishwasher may not do the job correctly. Please check the product description to see if they are dishwasher safe before purchasing.
- For the material, you can select from stainless steel or aluminum with stainless steel, plastic, or brass accents and handles.
Also keep in mind that stovetop espresso is different from real espresso.
Large stovetop espresso makers use either stainless steel or aluminum for their base and body, but they use plastic handles and pour spouts to keep you from being burned. However, some are 100% stainless steel – including their handles. You can also choose from gold, brass, or cast-iron accented, stainless steel espresso makers for a more elegant, or professional touch.
Stainless steel: stainless steel provides better insulation (keeping beverages hot or cold longer), and does not stain as quickly as other materials.
Aluminum: Aluminum is not as heavy nor as expensive as stainless steel; however, it is not as durable nor is it as heat-resistant as steel.
Gold-plated, brass, or cast-iron accented: Gold-plated, brass, and cast-iron accents add a refined and elegant look to an espresso maker. These espresso makers are suitable for high-dollar establishments, events, or parties, such as weddings, televised or celebrity events. These espresso makers will also last longer, due to the materials used.
Additional Perks and Information
- Stovetop espresso makers heat your espresso in about 4 to 5 minutes.